Saturday, January 9, 2010

Polyphasic Day 7

I am not quite sure what to think about the past few days. I have had so many oversleeps that it isn't even funny and I am starting to get desperate. I went to the mail room at my old dorm and my clock wasn't there, which screws me up a lot. I ordered this clock over a month ago and I've yet to get it; this was going to be one of my main tools for helping me with the conversion.

Last night went well until 7am. I woke up and could not shake the feeling of sleep so I went and took a hot shower and then I ran out of hot water and took a cold shower. No matter what I could do I could not stay awake. It is interesting how when that tired you can literally feel the sleep advancing upon the body. It is also interesting how the will power is completely zapped away when the body is sleep deprived. I was so determined to beat this but then I just mentally gave up and my brain started to rationalize itself for all sorts of stupid things just to get me back in bed. I fought this stuff off for about 10 minutes but it didn't go to well so I figured that I would take another short nap...that short nap turned into 7 hours..

School starts in a few days and I really need to complete the transition before then so I am beginning to wonder what to do now. Tonight will be my last major push for Uberman and if I cannot make it through the 7-10:40am shift then I will go to Everyman instead. For those of you who don't know, everyman is where you get an hour or two of "core sleep" every night and then take a four or five naps through the day. Everyman is more flexible and if I miss or shift around a nap it won't be as bad. There are quite a few disadvantages to Everyman though. The first being that the transition is a little bit different and harder. For one my body will not be going into a complete sleep overhaul, only slightly modified. This means that my mental clock will still think I am doing the same basic thing I did in the past but only with less sleep which it will make up for through naps. Second that I will have a clear start and stop to my day unlike with Uberman where the days just come and go and there is no real end or beginning to anything. Finally I have heard that lucid dreams don't come as easily for those on the everyman schedule which is quite disappointing. I really wanted to experience the lucid dreams but eh, maybe next time.

Now I still am going to try my hardest tonight to make it through and transition to Uberman. To do this I have identified a few problems I had which helped me go back to sleep and so I am making some more changes. First off I am going to sleep in the living room instead of my bedroom. Since I am spending all my time here in the bedroom anyway because of the computer it provides no transition for waking up and doing other things. Second I am going to set my stereo as a backup alarm, lock my bedroom door and then go put the key in another room. This will get me up and walking around and force me to do it quickly or else the stereo will wake everyone up. Lastly I have some foods here to help me wake up. First off I have some wendy's chili hot sauce which I am going to swallow if I don't wake up and then also some EXTREMELY concentrated tea powder which is so sweet and bitter it is going to drive my tongue crazy.

Here is a chart explaining most of the different sleep cycles, I am currently trying Uberman and if that doesn't work then I am going to try and get Everyman 4.

-Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment