Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 1

So I have now been up for over 36 hour with somewhere around three hours of sleep...if you can call it that. I'm not really sure if I should call this day 0, 1, or what. Everything is like one big blur since there is no real end to the day and it just cycles over into another sunrise. I don't understand why I got so tired so soon though. I have pulled all-nighters before with virtually no problem but now that I have started this I was becoming very tired after just 18 hours or so. It might be the fact that I mentally prepared myself to transition into this cycle and my brain was already in the mood for getting to sleep quickly, eh w/e.

I have been keeping all of my naps on time and have not had any oversleeps which is good. My first few naps I noticed that my brain wasn't slowing down at all and I got up just as awake as when I laid down. Since those two I have been trying to listen to a little bit of classical music for about 5-10 minutes before I go for a nap to help my brain slow down and get to sleep quicker. So far it has been working and when my alarm goes off I can tell that I was beginning to doze off. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I am actually falling asleep or entering any type of dream sleep but I am in some kind of a fog. It might just be the whole thing of being more in touch with your subconscious when you are relaxes but hey, its better than nothing.

On a down side, I attempted to watch some type of documentary and ended up falling asleep for not more than twenty minutes. From now on it will only be action movies to keep me awake. I also went out and saw Sherlock Holmes with a friend and was having to force myself to stay awake during it even though there was a lot of action and it was a great movie. However when we were hanging out I seemed more alert and attentive although I suspect it might have been me just trying really hard to stay awake (after all I was all over the place with my conversation and couldn't remember a lot of things). I will have to remember this for finals week if I fail with the whole sleep cycle thing; instead of being up all night and then a short nap before the test I will try multiple 20 minute naps throughout the day to keep me going.

One thing that is going to be a problem here is remembering when to shower and brush my teeth. Usually I would do that right before and after I went to bed. Now that I am not going to bed like normal I need to set a time to go and shower (I didn't realize that I had forgot a shower until 4am). Other than that I am going out of my mind with boredom. I can't really exercise to keep awake because I just had surgery a week ago so it is pretty much up to movies, food and games to keep me awake. From reading other people's blogs and stuff it looks like tomorrow and the day after are going to be the worst...let's see how it goes!
Till tomorrow,
-Graham

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your blog on my site.

    Happy napping!

    http://polyphasic.dyndns.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete