Saturday, January 2, 2010

Intro

Ever say to yourself "man, I wish there were more hours in a day" or "I could get so much done if I didn't have to waste time sleeping"? Well if you're anything like me then you have. After trying many different time management techniques and still not having enough time to really do all of the things I wanted; I gave up on the idea until recently when someone introduced me to polyphasic sleeping. There it was, the answer to my problems, with polyphasic sleeping you basically train your body to take many smaller naps throughout the day instead of going into hibernation every night. The idea is that instead of drifting in and out of REM and deep sleep for over eight hours you force your body to get all the sleep it needs in many twenty minute session as can be seen by the chart below.

The particular cycle that I am going to attempt to convert to is called the "uberman" schedule which is where I get twenty minutes of sleep every four hours. Instead of going to bed every night I am going to take naps at 2:40-3, 6:40-7, and 10:40-11 (both A.M. and P.M.). For those who are more visual, like me, you can see how this works out during the course of a day.My biggest motivation for this is so that I can take 20 credit hours this coming semester so that I can graduate next spring in time to start grad school in the fall (and somehow keep a social life along with all of this). Even if I didn't have school to worry about, imagine the possibilities; I could learn another language, spend more time at the gym, pick up an instrument, the possibilities are endless! I mean if Im saving at least six hours per day, that means I have an extra 42 hours per week, 180 per month, or 2190 per year (which is actually 91 more days in my year!). Naturally there are going to be some disadvantages to this, such as oversleeping and the fact that I have to pretty much build my life around my naps. If I skip just one nap it would be the equivalent of missing a whole night's rest.

Check back here every day for updates on how I am doing with this new sleep schedule. Oh, and if anyone is wondering, no this is not some new years resolution or anything like that, it just takes about 7-10 days to convert to this cycle and that is about how long I have until school starts again (not to mention, starting at new years makes counting the days easier. Also, excuse the horrible grammar and spelling in any of these blogs...I am going to be in like zombie mode for about a week so don't expect everything to be at college-level writing.

1 comment:

  1. Before you take each nap, have you tried only using dim lights in the room? That helps my mind slow down and makes me sleepy after a hard day of classes and studying.

    ReplyDelete