Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Polyphasic Day 3

Well today was a complete disaster. The night was alright and I thought I was going to make it but yet again in the 6:00am-10:40am block I crashed. Throughout the night I was so tired and nothing I could do would help me stay awake so instead I ended up dozing off a lot. By the time lunch came around I was so bad that I decided to take an emergency nap but then I must have hit my snooze button or something because I didn't wake up until 4:30pm which means that this was my first oversleep having been out for over 5 hours. I really hate it, I thought I would be able to make it the whole time without any oversleeps but eh, that's what I get for using only one alarm clock. This oversleep threw me off for my next nap at 6:40, it went alright but not very productive especially considering that my mom came pounding on the door half way through the nap. She like started yelling and saying that the door was locked and my little brother was locked out of the bedroom and couldn't come in...well no duh, this was exactly the reason I had locked the door!

When I started this experiment I ordered one of them crazy alarm clocks that like rolls off of the desk, starts making all sorts of crazy noises and you gotta get up and chase it down to turn it off. The only thing is that I accidentally left my paypal account linked to my old on-campus address so the clock got sent there from Hong Kong...lots of good that does me! Man I could have really used that thing on a day like today.

Anyway, my 10:40 nap went pretty well but then I started getting really hungry and had a taco. I think relying on so much junky food is not helping me transition well so I had my dad pick up a bunch of fruit from the store. Hunger under sleep deprivation is different from normal hunger. When I get hungry now I get this feeling like I about to puke and my stomach starts to tense up. I can put it off for a while but I certainly have to eat a lot more than usual. I started to get hungry at about 1:30am and had a bowl of cereal and a banana about 2 which I think was a mistake; when I went down for the 2:40 nap I could not sleep at all. I really hope I can make it through these next few hours without falling asleep, I need to stay awake or else I won't be able to complete the transition before school starts. I read on one site that taking a small wiff of amonia will help wake you up so if I am having trouble later I am going to try that. If that doesn't work then I am going to walk (more like hobble since I'm still recovering from this surgery) to walmart about 2 miles away in the freezing cold...if that doesn't wake me up then I don't know what will. If anyone has any ideas for ways to stay awake, wants to hang out, or just wants to chat leave me a comment here or hit me up on AIM: GrahamSoundnut I naturally will be on all day long.

And on a more positive note, I told my dad that I would give him $20 for the electric bill if they would keep the heater on until I go back to my apartment in Orlando on Thursday and he agreed. This is great, I am actually able to walk around the house and not have to sit in one spot shivering all night long. I still use the little portable heater while napping but other than that I'm all nice and warm!

Let's hope this next awake session is more productive,
-Graham

2 comments:

  1. hang in there, everyone says it's totally worth it once you get past the acclamation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've heard, I just really hope I am able to become at least semi-transitioned before school starts again on Monday.

    ReplyDelete