Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Polyphasic Day 4

I am not exactly sure how to describe today's sleep cycles. To start things off my 6:40am nap was a disaster, those tacos I ate around 4 finally caught up with me and as soon as I went down for the nap my stomach started to feel terrible. I didn't end up actually going to sleep for another half an hour and when I got up I (very stupidly) decided to add another 20minutes to my nap. The next few naps were fairly uneventful except I think I hit the snooze button once or twice. The biggest thing I am noticing about today is the fact that I am slightly more alert and undoubtedly less drowsy. Now this most likely has some relation to the fact that I have had two oversleeps in 24 hours but I'm still going to hope that it is my body getting used to the cycle.

I can tell that my circadian rhythm hasn't fully caught up with me yet because every day the 7-10:40am time period has been the most drowsy and unproductive. From what I am reading it could take up to one month to eliminate the drowsiness during that time of day. Other than that, once everyone wakes up and starts moving around I don't have too much of a problem with staying awake. I still get my old thoughts of "oh I'm tired, I will just lay down for a nap" and then have to catch myself. This is certainly harder than I thought and I have to keep telling myself my reasons for doing this to keep myself going. I think that if I were just doing it for the fun of it I might have quit by now.

Other than that I don't really know of what else to say. I think all of the times that my computer has gone on standby this week is about to kill my really old hard drives and they are making a terrible noise when I wake the computer back up. I guess I best start looking for a new drive before its too late.

Oh that also reminds me, the more I look into this whole polyphasic sleep stuff and the people doing it, the more I realize "wow, these people are just like me in almost every way imaginable." The majority that I have come across are linux users, libertarians and people who are not happy with your typical life that you get shoved into by default and instead want to do everything to get the most out of life. These people are so bent on self improvement that it has become an obsession for them and they try new and crazy things just so that it changes the status quo and helps them grow. These people, like me, ask "why not?" instead of always questioning why you should do something before you act. I find it so fascinating that I have just naturally begun to find the same type of people with the exact same interests in almost all areas. One guy who's blog I have been following since I found out about polyphasic sleep (tynan.net) took up professional gambling because of a math formula he made, put an inflatable swimming pool in his living room, lived nomadic for a year, currently lives in an RV so that he is able to move anywhere he wants instantly and moved out to California to see what it would be like to become a pickup artist. This is the type of life I am moving towards, one not controlled by the outside elements but instead one created by my own design and handiwork (no, not a pickup artist!). Man I love being in college, screw new years' resolutions I have new semester resolutions. This gives me three times per year to fix what I screwed up last time and even more opportunity to grow into the person I want to be.

Okay well now that my tangent is over with I shall go attempt to find something to eat, now lets hope I am done with these stupid oversleeps
-Graham

5 comments:

  1. Yea i dont make a new years resolution. I make goals as things come up, that way there is a bigger chance that I complete them. Why limit yourself to having a fresh start or make goals only once a year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow libertarian, I never figured politics would end up in the discussion but maybe we're predisposed to these kinds of things. On a side note, I never specifically want to buck convention and am quite happy being grounded and somewhat normal.

    I just want more time during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel, I have tried that, I mean doing goals as things come up but it doesn't seem to stick very well. If you have a clear stop and end point it makes things easier for me at least. Like if I am able to go "okay now I am like this, come finals week I will be like this" it not only gives me a time line but it also helps me visualize my goals.

    BH, yea I didn't think it would too much but the more I browse these forums the more I see it. I think it might be because I naturally keep seeking answers and don't stop until I get one that makes perfect sense in tune with the world around me and then strive to use that knowledge to make the world better. I see that most of these polyphasic sleepers have the same type of thinking and in politics it is shown through libertarianism. Sure part of the people just want more time (like me) but only those of us who are open to wild new ideas are crazy enough to actually try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well everyone is different on what works best for them to complete their goals. The more i think about it i have a good amount of long and short term goals as would most other people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean people shouldnt just confine themselves to setting goals (whether long or short term) at the new year is what meant.

    ReplyDelete